Quelques éclats de jade
DAIDOJI IRON WARRIORS (page 111)
- Skills: Battle, Defense 2, Iaijutsu, Kenjutsu (Katana), Spears, any one Skill
- Outfit: Light or Heavy Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, any 1 weapon, Traveling Pack, 10 koku
SHIBA BUSHI SCHOOL (page 123)
- Skills: Defense, Kenjutsu, Kyujutsu, Lore: Theology, Meditation (Void Recovery), Polearms, any one Bugei or High Skill
JIUJUTSU SKILL (page 140)
- RANK 3: The damage of all unarmed attacks is increased by +1k0.
- RANK 5: The character gains a bonus of +1k0 on a Contested Jiujutsu / Strength roll to determine who has control of a grapple.
- RANK 7: The damage of all unarmed attacks is increased by +0k1.
KNIVES SKILL (page 141)
- RANK 3: Off-hand penalties do not apply when using a knife.
- RANK 5: Use of a sai or jitte confers one Free Raise toward the use of the Disarm Maneuver. The total of all damage rolls made with an aiguchi, a tanto, or a kama is increased by 1k0.
- RANK 7: Use of any knife confers a Free Raise toward use of the Extra Attack Maneuver.
FEINT AND OFF-HAND WEAPONS (page 141)
In addition to the benefits and penalities deriving from wielding two weapons in combat, attacks made using the off-hand weapon benefit from a Free Raise toward use of the Feint Maneuver. However, a character’s Strength Trait is considered one rank lower when determining the DR of an attack using a weapon held in the off-hand.
STAVES SKILL (page 142)
- RANK 3: Opponents’ armor bonuses are no longer doubled against staff attacks.
- RANK 5: Use of a staff confers one Free Raise toward use of the Knockdown Maneuver.
- RANK 7: Staves that are large and medium may be readied as a Free Action instead of a Simple Action. Use of the nunchaku confers a Free Raise toward using the Extra Attack Maneuver.
GREAT POTENTIAL [VARIES] (5 POINTS) (page 150)
Within you lies the potential to excel at one particular endeavor, perhaps more so than any other living soul in the Empire. Select any one Skill when you purchase this Advantage. When you make Raises on a Skill Roll using that Skill, your Raises are not limited by your Void Ring.
INHERITANCE [MATERIAL] (5 POINTS) (page 150)
When you received your gempukku ceremony, your family honored you with an heirloom of your ancestors. It is among your most precious possessions, and you would die before you allowed it to be harmed or brought dishonor to it. You possess one item in addition to the normal starting equipment provided by your School. Whenever you make a Skill Roll using this item, such as a Perform: Biwa roll with a biwa, a Games: Go roll with a go set, or a Heavy Weapon roll with a Tetsubo, you gain a bonus of +1k1 to the roll. This bonus never applies to damage rolls. Only one chosen Skill can benefit from this bonus. A katana could provide a +1k1 bonus on Kenjutsu or Iaijutsu rolls, but not both. Players and GMs may agree to allow a more powerful or unique item to be inherited for a higher Experience Point cost. Such special cases should be discussed carefully beforehand to ensure fairness and balance.
INNER GIFT [SPIRITUAL] (7 POINTS) (page 151)
- Empathy: You gain a bonus of +1k1 to Skill or Trait rolls made to determine another’s feelings/desires.
- Foresight: You are difficult to surprise, and gain a bonus of +2k0 to the total of Initiative rolls.
SEVEN FORTUNES’ BLESSING [SPIRITUAL] (4 POINTS) (page 153)
- Bishamon’s Blessing (Crab, Lion): The Fortune of Strength has taken notice of your might, and has favored you with his blessings. Whenever you declare and make three successful Raises on an attack roll for the purposes of the Increased Damage Maneuver, you gain one additional Raise. Free Raises do not count toward activating this effect. You also gain a bonus of +1k0 to the total of any Strength Trait Rolls.
TOUCH OF THE SPIRIT REALM [SPIRITUAL] (5 POINTS) (page 154)
- Toshigoku: When making a Move Action to get into range to attack an opponent, the distance of your move is increased by 5 feet. (Your maximum movement, usually twenty times your Water Ring in feet per Round, is not increased.)
- Yomi: Select one School Skill. You gain a bonus of +0k1 on all Skill Rolls made using that Skill.
HEAVY ARMOR (page 198)
Wearing heavy armor also increase the TN of all Athletics / Strength rolls by 5.
RIDING ARMOR (page 198)
Wearing riding armor increases the TN of all Athletics and Stealth rolls by 5, even if the character is on horseback. Wearing riding armor on foot also increase the TN of all Athletics / Strength rolls by 5.
HEAVY WEAPONS (page 200)
A character wielding a Heavy Weapon providing a DR with an amount of kept damage dice above his Strength rating suffers a -5 penalty to his Armor TN. This penalty is offset by the Large Advantage.
BLOWGUN (pages 201-202)
The blowgun is a popular weapon among ninja because it is inexpensive, simple to use, and can be used outside of combat as a breathing implement while submerged (which comes up more often than one might imagine for ninja). Small darts are placed within the tube and then propelled at the target by blowing through it forcefully. Although the darts inflict virtually no damage, they are usually poisoned, which is the real benefit to using this weapon in the first place. Blowguns have an effective range of fifty feet.
- Keywords: Medium, Ninja
- DR: 1 Wound
- Special Rules: Triple an opponent’s Armor TN bonus from armor. The damage increase from the Ninjutsu Skill increases the blowgun’s damage to 1k1 at Rank 3 and 2k1 at Rank 7. Reloading a blowgun is a Free Action.
A blowgun may also be used to attack with metsubishi up to 5’ away. A metsubishi attack inflicts no damage but ignores an opponent’s Armor TN bonus deriving from armor. It might require one or two additional Raises against a target wearing a mask or mempo.
- Price: 8 zeni
MACHI-KANSHISHA (page 204)
This extremely unconventional weapon is, more or less, a metal smoking pipe. It is an effective weapon because of its size and shape, which is a hollow metal tube roughly three feet in length. In addition to its use as a smoking implement, it can also be used to stun an opponent via a sharp blow to the head. The machi-kanshisha pipe is seen almost exclusively in the hands of a band of ronin serving the Kaeru family in the City of the Rich Frog.
- Keywords: Medium
- DR: 0k2
- Special Rules: The machi-kanshisha may also be used to blow metsubishi powder at an opponent up to 5’ away. A metsubishi attack made with a machi-kanshisha ignores an opponent’s Armor TN bonus deriving from armor and use Reflexes instead of Agility. A metsubishi attack inflicts no damage. It might require one or two additional Raises against a target wearing a mask or mempo.
- Price: 10 koku
TONFA (page 204)
The tonfa has its origin as the handle of a millstone. It consists of a wooden shaft roughly the length of a man’s forearm, with a handle on the side that allows it to be held along the forearm. Held in this manner it is an effective defensive tool, but can also be spun as an offensive weapon.
- Keywords: Medium, Peasant
- DR: 1k1
- Price: 5 bu
UNAFFILIATED MONK (page 231)
An unaffiliated monk has a starting Honor of 4.5 and receives an extra 15 Experience Points during character creation to offset the lack of School bonus. Like other Brotherhood characters, an unaffiliated monk adds his School Rank plus the relevant Ring and compares the result to the Mastery Level of a Kiho, to determine if it can be gained or purchased.
TENGOKU’S ARMY (page 235)
- Honor: 1.5
THE TESSEN (page 235)
- Honor: 4.5
NEW WEAPON: METSUBISHI (Adapted from L5R 3rd Edition Revised Core Rulebook, page 177)
NEW WEAPON: NAGETEPPO (From Imperial Histories, pages 180-181)
- Page 113: The Mirumoto Bushi School and the Tamori Shugenja School should have the Lore: Theology skill instead of Theology.
- Page 114: The Togashi Tattooed Order school should have the Artisan: Tattooing skill instead of Craft: Tattooing.
- Page 121: The Yoritomo Courtier Rank 1 ability (Duty Before Honor) should add this sentence to the ability: “All Intimidation roles the Yoritomo makes use Willpower instead of Awareness.”
- Page 123: The Shiba Bushi School should have the Lore: Theology skill instead of Theology.
- Page 128: Bayushi Courtier Rank 5 Technique: This Technique references the “Bad Reputation” Disadvantage. This should be the “Social Disadvantage” Disadvantage (found on page 162).
- Page 231: In the sidebar under the fifth bullet point, the sentence reading “Monks possess Glory 1 and Status 0” should be replaced by “Monks possess Glory 0 and Status 1.”
- Page 266: In the sidebar under the second bullet point, the portion reading “using the same rules for Mastery level” should be omitted.
- Page 329: Ugulu no Oni: The ability Huge should be listed under Special Abilities.
- Page 398: Index entry for Off-hand Weapons & Multiple Attacks: The correct page is 141.
WOUNDS (pages 82 and 84)
Except for the Healthy Wound Rank (Earth x5), Earth x2 is used to determine the number of Wounds per Wound Rank.
OPTIONAL RULES (pages 92, 236-281)
The Honor Roll optional rule and all optional systems described in Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook are in use.
KATANA (page 204)
The price of a Katana is considered 25 koku for crafting purposes.
SCHOOL TAGS (page 226)
- Artisan: Artisan characters can increase Artisan and Craft Skills for one Experience Point less than normal.
- Courtier: Courtier characters can purchase Social Advantages for one Experience Point less than normal (to a minimum of 1 point).
- Specialized Bushi – Some ninja characters, more militant in nature, may purchase Kata as if they were a member of their clan’s principle Bushi School, but using their School Rank instead of their Ring to determine if they meet the Mastery Level. Those ninja cannot combine ranks with Shugenja Schools.
- Mystical Ninja – Other Ninja characters, more mystical in nature, can instead purchase Kiho at twice the normal cost, using their School Rank to determine if they meet the Mastery Level of the Kiho. Those ninja cannot combine ranks with Bushi Schools.
KIHO (page 261)
Like shugenja, Non-Brotherhood monks use only their Ring to determine if they may purchase a Kiho.